Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Cobble Bases

 Not a model but this is related to a current project. So I thought you might be interested in my first attempt at green stuff bases. It all started because I found myself with a set of bases, like the one to the right, intended for models that where not on a stand designed to fit in the slot. I am really irked when I see finished models with what can only be described as an unnatural hole at their feet.




 So I wanted to do something about it. I had read a few things about green stuff bases, but mostly using molds or a stamp, I had neither. So I started by making up some green stuff and laying it out flat on the base as seen here.
Next I took a sculpting tool and made several marks, I wanted it to look like caked mud when it was painted.

I found that they needed a little more texture so I took some heavy grit sand paper and just pressed it against the green stuff to make it look a bit rougher. This worked great with the first two but some of the paper stuck to the third and I found myself picking pieces of sand paper off (annoying and I had to refresh some of the sculpting).

I am going to paint them Mournfang Brown and hit them with a couple of coats of Agrax Earthshade wash to get down in the crevices.

Finally here it is after the first coat of brown. Some green is showing through so I will need to do a little more work.

So far I like the result and find it preferable to having my model straddling a gap in the ground. Just tempting dwellers below to come get him.

If any of you have done something similar in the past I would love any pointers you may have. I have a whole bag of 20 mm space marines bases that have this issue.

Next time I will include a list of my current projects and some general pictures of stuff I have been working on.

2 comments:

  1. Those look great! I have not done anything like that in the past, but I have seen it done. Sometimes people pick up the resin bases to cut the workload, but that is an added expense.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great...I will have to look into this for future lists. Ive been interested in the Resin bases for a while but not at a cost of $2+ per model.

    ReplyDelete