Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Current Projects

As promised here is a run down of my current projects. In order of how much thought I have put into them

1. Wood Elves: My oldest and still not complete army. Admittedly in part due to rumors of an April 14 codex release, which caused me to stop buying to see what might be released.
My intention is to own a 2250 pt army. My theme hasn't changed, just a glade of elves "defending" themselves from outsiders. The army is composed of:
Wood Elf Lord: Spellweaver

Lords:
1 Highborn (WIP)
1 Spellweaver (Completed)
Heroes:
2 Wood Elf Nobles: one BSB and one Assassin (WIP)
Special:
6 Treekin (WIP)
Core:
24 Dryads (WIP)
50 Glade Guard/scouts (16 completed, 5 WIP, 29 still need to be purchased)

This collection also provides a ton of options for lower level games.



2. Space Wolves: okay i'll be honest 40k gets very little love from me. Although I continue to tell myself that's because I have had only a couple of decent games against good players. Now when I say good players I am referring to sportsmanship not skill level. Unfortunately the majority of 40k players I have had the opportunity to play against have not been very good sportsmen and it has left a bit of a bitter taste in my mouth. On the other hand I have had a blast doing conversions on my wolves so that has at least kept me interested in the modeling portion of the game.

Phase I: I decided towards the beginning that I wanted to build Bran Redmaw's Great Company. Including Grey Hunters, Long Fangs, and Fenrisian Wolves. Most games around here are at the 1250 ("small") or 1850 ("large") sizes so I came up with the following (sizes named by local players):

Bran Redmaw: Conversion
HQ:
1 Bran Redmaw (WIP: still needs snow)
1 Perun Russkin, Wolf Priest (WIP)
1 Villskap Stormborn, Rune Priest (WIP)
1 Skallagrim of the Blackbrow,Wolf Guard Battle Leader (WIP)
Elite:
3 Wolf Guard
Troops:
20 Grey Hunters (4 groups of 5)
Fast Attack:
15 Fenrisian Wolves (1 group of 10 and 1 of 5)
10 Skyclaws
Heavy Support:
18 Longfangs (3 groups of 6)





Phase II: turns out that in my massive purchase a year ago I got way more models than those listed above so not wanting to waste all of my terminators I put together this list:

HQ:
1 Logan Grimnar (WIP)
1 Njal Stormcaller, Rune Priest (WIP)
1 Bjorn, Dreadnought (WIP)
Troops:
1 Arjac Rockfist
15 Wolfguard Terminators

Needless to say it is pretty low on my get around to it list.

3. Cygnar: Generally collecting and painting as I go. A friend and fellow PhD student here at AFIT introduced me to Warmachine last month, after some aggravating 40k games. He said it would feel like a "warm hug" by comparison. He is both a good sportsman and a good strategist so I decided to try it out,  and I really enjoy the game. So I picked up a Cygnar battle box and started to paint. Once those four figures are finished I will expand what I own slowly based off need, as opposed to some grand design as with my first two armies.
My Cygnar Warjacks (WIP)

3 comments:

  1. Sadly, 40k somehow manages to attract a very competitive crowd for a game that is not very balanced. I think both Fantasy and Warmachine are more balanced, and require more than Netlist to win. I love the 40k setting, but somehow games can be very hit or miss.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a veteran of both games (GW for 15+ years and Privateer Press for 2+ years), what Rob said is 100 percent accurate, the Privateer press system is built around the balance, look at the books, each faction gets new things as you go. I have a multitude of armies in each and would recommend WM to anyone but those who are absolutely in love with the 40k universe. That said I am looking to get out of Cygnar and have a huge lot of cygnar things I would be more than willing to part with for quite cheap. All assembled, mostly unpainted. Hate to turn the blog into a sales pitch, but if you're interested. Please let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So I am such the new guy at this hobby compared with the average level of experience here...
    Rob I agree with you about 40k. I also like the setting which is why my wolves continue to get work done on them. I really don't know how the game is so unbalanced compared to fantasy. I would think that the company would borrow more form one game to the next than they apparently do.
    Jason I am always interested in cheap unpainted models, half of my stuff comes from bargain bins at local game stores. So go ahead and email me what you have/looking to sell and what you hope to get for it. Are you willing to break up the set, or would you prefer to sell it as a collect? etc.
    I hesitate to put my email on a public forum; Rob can you pass it on to Jason for me? Thanks

    ReplyDelete