Thursday, March 24, 2016

Beginning Legion XIII

Astrates Sergeant with Gladius
Having completed my Traitor World Eaters this past weekend (other than Kharn's scenic base), I have begun to assemble the first squad for my Legion XIII, Ultramarines.

Almost 20 years ago, I began the hobby reading through the background of the Chapter in the 2nd Edition Codex: Ultramarines.  Ultramarines are my first and largest army for Warhammer 40,000.

I continue to be attracted to the core themes of the Ultramarines.  In contrast to many other legions, they are not destroyers of worlds or even builders of great fortresses for defense.   The Ultramarines, especially under Roboute Guilliman, take the next step of creating or re-establishing civilization from the ashes of conquest.    Today, the idea of not only achieving victory, but securing victory by establishing civilization continues to be a theme I am attracted to.  Add to this my on-going fascination with the Roman Republic and early Roman Empire and the Ultramarines are simply my Legion.

As the Horus Heresy is about the threat of brothers turning against the Imperial Truth and the civilization that it inspires; I am modelling my Ultramarines in the defense of civilization.  I am using Evergreen Scale Models Sheet Styrene tiles on the bases.  This is very easy to work with; I have used decent scissors of the majority of cutting out of it.
Five Astrates


The project is a bit daunting, because I want to do an excellent job on it all.  As I said, I started with Ultramarines almost 20 years ago.  I hope to do justice to the Legion.  Courage and Honor.

No comments:

Post a Comment