Tuesday, November 12, 2019

Marauders on High

Marauder's in Night Camo
This past week, I finished up the Marauder Bombers from the Aeronautica Imperialis core box.  For these I experimented with a lighter application of the same blue and then darkened areas to create the effect.  After painting the Thunderbolts, I wanted to break up the dark blue on the bombers.
Starter Box Imperial Navy done

I also decided to attempt free-hand nose art on both of them, which you can slightly see in the above image.



As I was selecting aircraft numbers, I decided the nose art should have a connection to the associated Astrates Legion number. As I thought about numbers, I checked which legion they were with. This meant tying them to the Imperial Fists and Blood Angels.  The other element was a desire to draw from USAAF and RAF nose-art from World War II.
Avenging Angel nose art pre-weathering Hammer of the Emperor pre-weathering

For Marauder 9, I decided to call it the Avenging Angel and tried to paint  a nude angel with a sword on the side.   For Marauder 7, I settled on the Hammer of the Emperor.  The fist and hammer was much easier to paint than the angel, especially at this scale.

Next up, Ork Eavy Bombers - they are some big boys!



No comments:

Post a Comment